Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Week 1 - New Year's Memories

Happy New Year everyone. May it be filled with many blessings!

Throughout the years the only tradition I remember about the new year was to gather together on New Year's day for family dinner. It was not usually elaborate, but it was enough for relaxing and watching the games on TV. Some of us would have resolutions we had made and we would talk about them, but it was mostly a time to regroup and get ready for the year to come.

14 years ago when my husband and I celebrated our first new year together, it was with his family in California. There was a wonderful meal prepared by his mother and a big gathering. The guys all went outside to toss the football and after dinner, family pictures were taken.

My husband always ponders the upcoming year carefully and makes a prediction of how he feels the year will turn out. Then he asks me what my thoughts are, at first I wasn't prepared for this but over the years I guess I grew into it. Now when he asks me, I add my feelings as well. I think it is a positive way to frame our attitude for the upcoming year. Of course, it is not always a positive outlook each year but at the end of our reflections, we always thank our Lord for our blessings and acknowledge that through his love we will "get through" whatever the new year brings as long as we stick together and support one another.

From our family to yours, we hope the coming year brings all you hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment