Monday, December 5, 2011

Outdoor Decorations: Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories December 5, 2011

I grew up loving the outdoor Christmas displays. My parents seemed to enjoy the lights as well and even though my dad didn't enjoy driving at night, he and my mom would bundle me up and put me in the car to "go see the lights". I remember standing on the backseat floor of the car using my mitten to clear the frost off the window so I could see the lights. It was magical how the lights all seemed to have "halos" through the frosted glass. When I think of those snowy Colorado nights, I can still remember the familiar smell of my "daddy's" old cars. They all pretty much smelled the same, the warm radio tubes, dust on the seats, well worn mechanic's tools and cigarettes. Somehow that was a safe and cozy environment to protect us from the snow and ice.

Then when my kids were young and we were still in Colorado, they also had quite a few rides to see lights in "Grandpa's" car, (of course by then there were seat-belts.)

In the early '80's we moved to Arizona and I wondered how the lights here could possibly be as beautiful without the snow and ice. We were thrilled to find out that not only were they as beautiful, but sometimes it was nice to enjoy them with the temperatures in the 50's instead of the '20's!




Actually, one of the most beautiful displays we have ever enjoyed was in Mesa, Arizona at the Arizona LDS Temple. The display has been a part of every Arizona Christmas since.

I am including some of the the Temple Garden pictures as posted on the City of Mesa web site. I hope you can enjoy a special part of the yearly tradition that lights up our season.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, we did the same thing. Driving around to see the lights was always a highlight. Come to think of it, we still enjoy doing this.

    ReplyDelete