Sunday, December 6, 2015

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories December 6. 2015 - Santa Claus

Our family has always loved Santa and we have so many "Santa" memories that I will only share a few here. I have kept many of my dolls and plush from when I was young and remember where each one came from except the "elderly" stuffed Santa that was with my treasures from my earliest memories.

I always made sure he was well placed with the Christmas decorations, and because he seemed like a much older wiser Santa, I made sure he was never slighted by the newer, brighter and flashier Santa's. I didn't find out where he came from until just a few days ago when I discovered a photo of him in one of my parents' albums.
 Lo and behold, there he was sitting very proudly under the tree between my grandparents, Manley and Priscilla Dunn. What a surprise, I think I was right, he was a very distinguished Santa before he came to live with us.Another favorite Christmas eve was when my daughter Sandi and her cousin Lon were about 2 or 3 years old and Santa came to visit walking right up the sidewalk to the house. My mom had arranged for Santa to come to the door instead of down the chimney (since we didn't have one) bringing some very special gifts. In Santa's bag were toys and life sized Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls that she had made, including matching Raggedy outfits for the kids. Santa even spread his visit to the little boy next door who was terrified and would have no part of it!

And finally, I saved the sweetest for last. In 2004 the three youngest grandchildren Jayden, Jazzie and newborn Taytum were visited by a very special helper of Santa's. Our 13 year old grandson Joshua, agreed to help Santa out and let his cousins and little sister have their pictures taken with him.It went something like this:
ME: Josh, I think you would make a great Santa

JOSH: I don't think so grandma
 

ME: Sure you would, we will even get you a cool suit to wear, just like
Halloween

JOSH: 
Ummmm I'll think about it 

Sometime later:


ME: Josh, look, your mom found a really cool Santa Suit!!!!


JOSH: MOMMMMMMM!!!!ME: Please?????

SILENCE AS TIME PASSES

JOSH: Ummmmm, well, I guess I could do it, it does look KINDA cool

Christmas Eve 2004

JOSH: 
Uhhh grandma???

ME: Yes Josh?


JOSH: This is really really hot and sweaty........How long do I have to wear it for?
 JOSH: Grandma???
Grandma???? where did you go????????
 man I gotta get outta here.............


ME: THANK YOU JOSHUA .......Here comes Santa Claus here comes Santa Claus.......

No comments:

Post a Comment